In this blog , I will describe how to use environment variables to pass data sources in power automate flows.
Environment variables help us in a great way to reduce the manual association of data sources in each environment.
- Login to https://make.powerapps.com
- Navigate to Solutions -> Add New->More->Environment variables
- Create an environment variable for Site .
- Choose the Data Type – Data Source
- Associate SharePoint connector if you have already created. Else create a connection and associate it here.
- Choose the parameter type as ‘Site’.
- Associate the SharePoint Site . You can pass the Default site value and a current value ( which is unique for each environment).
- If the current value is not specified , default value will be used.
- Once the environment variable for site is created, we need to create one more environment variable for List.
- Follow the same steps as above and create a new environment variable,
- Choose the Parameter Type as ‘List’.
- Under Site , Specify the name of Environment variable we created in above step.
- Now login to https://flows.microsoft.com
- choose the flow that is using sharepoint list as data source or create a new flow,
- In the Site Address – instead of specifying the URL directly choose ‘custom value’
- Now you will observe that the environment variables are available to use in ‘Dynamic Content’
- Use the Environment variables created for Site and List respectively,
- This helps is deploying the Canvas Apps from one environment without manual intervention in Data source connections.